Austrian Digital Nomad Visa - Legal Advice for Foreigners
Digital Nomad Visa in AustriaUpdated on Thursday 29th September 2022
Rate this article
based on 4 reviews
based on 4 reviews
Austria welcomes foreign remote workers and it is among the countries that offer top facilities for those interested. The Austrian digital nomad visa offers the possibility to stay in this country for a year, but those interested can extend this type of visa. One of our lawyers in Austria can offer you legal support in terms of formalities. In this article, we present information on how to obtain a digital nomad visa in Austria.
Formalities for Austrian digital nomad visa
For stays of more than 3 months in Austria, as allowed by a tourist visa, a digital nomad visa in Austria is required. As the country is part of the Schengen Area, applicants must consider the necessary visa formalities. Let's review some of these:
- A valid passport is required to apply for the Austrian digital nomad visa.
- Proof of stable income is required by the immigration authorities.
- Authorities may also require a clear criminal record. This is a formality needed to apply for a digital nomad visa in Austria.
- Proof of domicile in Austria is also part of the formalities.
- You also need to prepare health insurance that is valid for the European Union.
We mention that EU citizens can enter Austria without a visa. However, a residence permit is required if they want to live in the country for more than 3 months. One of our lawyers can tell you more about the Austrian digital nomad visa.
How can I obtain a residence permit in Austria?
Temporary residence permits for Austria are valid for 6 months, but with the possibility of extension. As with applying for a digital nomad visa in Austria, you need to present a valid passport, health insurance, and proof of residence. Authorities may also request a criminal record check.
Do not hesitate to ask for specialized help from our attorneys in Austria. They can handle the formalities related to the Austrian digital nomad visa.
Managing the business from Austria
Foreigners who own a business and want to run it in Austria can do so by applying for the Austrian digital nomad visa. It is important to note that this only applies to those who do not have customers and do not enter into contracts with clients in this country. Things will change if you want to relocate the business to Austria. You need a business visa and a number of formalities that you should consider.
Self-employment regulations for foreigners in Austria
Being self employed in Austria is an optimal solution for those who want to work on their own from any country they want. In this case, you can apply for an Austrian freelance visa. Here is what this type of visa entails and how you can access it:
- You need to apply for a residence permit in Austria. Candidates must be over 18 years old.
- Both EU/EEA citizens and non-EU citizens are accepted.
- If you do not have residency in Austria, you can apply for a work visa for Austria.
- You must apply for the Red-White-Red Card to be self-employed in Austria.
- You can register with the Economic Chamber office as a freelancer in Austria. Information is requested about the new domicile in Austria.
- You must also present a clear criminal record, according to the formalities imposed by the authorities.
- Mandatory health insurance is also included in the category of formalities for the Austrian freelance visa.
So, these are some of the formalities for the Austrian freelance visa. Our immigration lawyers in Austria can deal with these and offer you advice and legal advice in this regard.
What other legal requests are required for the Austrian freelance visa?
Freelancers in Austria have the obligation to keep the documents of the company they own and to register for the payment of taxes. Income statements, expense receipts and balance sheets are documents that must be kept in the company. In the case of those who provide services for existing companies in Austria, they must conclude a contract in this regard and comply with the rules regarding taxation.
You can learn more about this topic from one of our attorneys in Austria, who have experience in immigration issues and who can help you obtain an Austrian freelance visa.
A business bank account for freelancers in Austria
Foreign citizens who want to earn income as freelancers in Austria must open a business bank account. It is good to differentiate between personal assets and finances and those of the owned company. And to open a bank account in Austria, you need to present your company's documents.
Taxation for those with an Austrian freelance visa
The freelance tax in Austria is imposed for those who exceed the threshold of EUR 11,000 per year and is approximately 25%. VAT is imposed at a threshold of more than EUR 30,000. SVA stands for social security scheme, and here we mention the following taxes:
- 18.5% for pension insurance.
- 6% for unemployment. 7.65% for sickness.
- 1.2% for accidents at work.
In addition to these taxes, Austria imposes the payment of EUR 11.95, which is the European Health Insurance card. But to better understand the rules for the digital nomad visa in Austria and the taxation of foreign citizens, please contact our team of lawyers in Austria.
Are there any visa exceptions for entering Austria?
Yes, there are many countries for which a Schengen visa for Austria is not required. Among them, we mention Andorra, Argentina, Albania, Republic of Macedonia, Barbados, Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Mexico, Guatemala, Mauritius, Israel, Japan, San Marino, UAE, Australia, Venezuela, Peru, Ukraine, Serbia, Canada, South Korea, Panama, Solomon Islands and many more.
Even so, citizens from certain countries must register online with the ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) and comply with the procedures imposed by the legislation. But in order to be up to date with the legislation in this sector, we recommend you to collaborate with one of our immigration lawyers in Austria.
Choosing Vienna as a digital nomad
Vienna, the capital of Austria, is one of the top destinations for those interested in working remotely as a digital nomad. There are a number of advantages and facilities when it comes to the capital of this country, and here we review some of the qualities and reasons why Vienna is the right choice:
- Vienna's public transport system is one of the best in the world. Connections with the other cities of Austria can be made quite easily.
- There are numerous digital hubs that offer top facilities for those interested in remote work or managing a business in Austria. You can rent office spaces dedicated to digital nomads or you can work from cafes that offer complete facilities in this direction.
- Austria's gastronomy is highly appreciated internationally, and Vienna is among the top locations in this regard. The local cuisine, with well-known products such as strudel, Viennese coffees, or Wiener schnitzel, are recognized all over the world, and those who move to Vienna can enjoy these products in any corner of the city.
- Schonbrunn, Ringstrasse, the local Town Hall, Mozart's House, the Danube, Imperial Furniture Museum, and Austrian National Library are among the most visited and appreciated locations in Vienna, which you should not miss if you relocate.
- Vienna is among the first safest cities in the world, according to the Quality of Life Index, with the lowest crime rate in Europe. The city is a perfect option for digital nomads who want to move with their families. The education system is among the best, and expats can benefit from grants for child care if they prove their residency in this country.
- Another important aspect of a good train in Vienna is access to big recreation areas, as well as gyms, parks, and green areas. The city is suitable for those who value a healthy lifestyle, as they have a lot of centers and dedicated spaces at their disposal.
- Even if the official language is German, there are many English speakers, so communication is not an impediment in Vienna. Digital nomads can access German language courses, dedicated to beginners or intermediates.
- Even if the bureaucracy is quite present in Austria, including in Vienna, those interested in premises or certificates have the opportunity to apply online or by appointment at the relevant authorities. It is also recommended to work with a lawyer in Austria who is specialized in the field you are interested in, to avoid possible restrictions or obstacles in terms of documents. He/she can help you obtain an Austrian freelance visa.
Working with our experts for obtaining a digital nomad visa for Austria
The current social context allows more than ever remote or remote work, as it is known. There are quite a few countries that have already implemented the digital nomad visa system, based on the current one, to which certain formalities are added. But in order not to face legal problems, we recommend that you contact a specialist in the field, such as a lawyer in Austria.
He/she has experience in immigration issues, is aware of the legislation and can prepare the necessary documents. In addition, you will be assured of a simple and fast process, alongside the advantageous costs for the legal services offered. He are here to help you apply for an Austrian freelance visa.
Why is Austria appealing to digital nomads?
Austria is one of the countries that offers top facilities to those interested in remote work. Vienna, the country's capital, is preferred by those who want to work remotely as digital nomads. they can benefit from quality services, regardless of their work or projects. Here are some interesting things to keep in mind before applying for a digital nomad visa for Austria:
- 35 Mbps is the average internet speed in Vienna.
- The cost of the internet is around EUR 33 per month.
- Monthly utilities can cost around EUR 190.
- An apartment for rent in Vienna can cost around EUR 800, but prices vary by area.
- The cost of a flexible desk in a coworking space in Vienna is approximately EUR 35 for 10 hours per month. Unlimited access can be made for approximately EUR 225.
Therefore, Vienna is the city with many opportunities for those interested in an Austrian digital nomad visa. You can find more information from our team of lawyers in Austria. Contact us now and discover our legal services tailored to your needs.