How to Get Citizenship in Austria - Updated for 2023
Citizenship in AustriaUpdated on Monday 20th March 2023
Rate this article
based on 2 reviews
based on 2 reviews
Citizens who have lived in Austria for at least 10 years can apply for citizenship in Austria. If you would like to know how to get citizenship in Austria in 2023, and the formalities imposed, we suggest you get in touch with one of our lawyers for legal guidance. Our Austrian citizenship lawyer can provide specialist legal advice.
|Nationalities accepted (EU/Non-EU)|| |
Both EU and non-EU
Business investment option (YES/NO)
|Real estate investment option (YES/NO)|| |
|Other investment options (if available)|| |
- Government bonds,
- forming a joint venture
|Living requirement in Austria (YES/NO)|| |
|Residence or direct citizenship option|| |
Major contributions to the economy of Austria through investments
|Direct immigration with family members (YES/NO)|| |
|Family members allowed to join the program|| |
Children, parents, grandparents
|Residence visa/citizenship processing time (approx.)||Between 24 and 36 months|
|Additional financial requirements for family members (YES/NO)||Yes|
|Time frame for obtaining citizenship/residency by investment|| |
Minimum 5 years with permanent residence permit
|Dual citizenship permitted (YES/NO)|| |
|Reasons to choose Austria|| |
- multiple business opportunities,
- excellent standards of living,
- high quality education and healthcare
|Personal income tax rate||Ranges between 0% and 55%, depending on the incomes|
|Visa free travel to other countries (approx. number of countries)||Around 192|
How can I get citizenship in Austria in 2023?
The formalities for Austrian citizenship are simple if you seek the help of our lawyers. In addition to being required to stay in Austria for at least 10 years, citizenship candidates must also meet other conditions. Let's review some of these:
- Authorities are demanding proof of a stable income in Austria. Bank statements are also sufficient.
- Applicants must show that they have a positive attitude towards Austria.
- A clean criminal record is needed.
- Knowledge of German language is required.
- Some standard forms will be filled in with personal data.
- Proof of domicile in Austria is required. Current bills are sufficient.
- A birth certificate and identity document (or passport) are required.
- Proof of payment of the citizenship application in Austria is required.
These are some of the formalities to consider if you are wondering how to get citizenship in Austria in 2023. As the process may seem complicated at first glance, we invite you to talk to our Austrian citizenship lawyer. Also, more about immigration to Austria can be discussed with one of our local experts. Our immigration lawyers in Austria are at your disposal.
The recognition of historical responsibility referring to victims of National Socialism was recognized in 2019 by the Austrian parliament and the amendment adopted to the Citizenship Act in Austria. As such, these persons can obtain Austrian citizenship by contacting the diplomatic representatives, respectively Consulates and Embassies, and making a declaration in this sense.
How to become a citizen of Austria by making investments
Making investments ranging from EUR 800,000 to EUR 10 million in the form of a joint venture is another possibility to get citizenship in Austria. Also, direct investment in a present business on the market that creates jobs is another option. Such donations to a relevant public project are also permitted.. Here are some requests for how to become a citizen of Austria by making investments:
- Applicants must prove that they are active investors in Austria.
- And in this case, the Austrian authorities demand a clean criminal record.
- A birth and marriage certificate, plus a valid passport are required for Austrian citizenship application.
- A resume containing business background information is also required by the authorities.
- References from other foreign investors or collaborators are also accepted.
- The key ministries of Austria are the institutions that analyze citizenship by investment in Austria for foreign applicants.
- There will also be a background check when processing the application.
- The family can also be part of the citizenship process in Austria by investment.
What is important to note is that applicants should not give up their current citizenship. So, if you want more information on how to get citizenship in Austria, we invite you to discuss all the details with our Austrian citizenship lawyer.
Other ways to become a citizen of Austria
Citizenship by marriage and by descent are other ways in which a foreign national can gain this status in 2023. If you are married to a foreign national or if you can prove that you have relatives in this country, then you are already qualified for Austrian citizenship. All that remains is to discuss all aspects with our Austrian citizenship lawyer.
Here are some statistics about migration to Austria, mentioning that our immigration lawyers in Austria are at yout service with legal advice:
- The population of Austria exceeds 8.9 million citizens, of which over 1.5 million are foreigners.
- Foreigners living in Austria represent about 17% of the total population, according to data for 2021.
One should note that if the parents of a child are not married and the father is a citizen of Austria, and the mother is from another state, the child obtains Austrian citizenship by descent. This can happen only if the father recognizes paternity within 8 weeks following the birth of the child.
Want to know more about how to get citizenship in Austria? We invite you to contact our law firm in Austria. An Austrian citizenship lawyer will take over your case and tell you more about immigration to Austria.