Austrian Permanent Residence – Get Updated for 2023
Obtain Residence Permit for AustriaUpdated on Monday 20th March 2023
Rate this article
based on 3 reviews
based on 3 reviews
Some citizens need to obtain a residence permit for Austria, depending on the length and purpose of their stay. For these types of permits, most of the applicants must commence the necessary procedure before entering the country and follow the steps as indicated by the embassy or consulate in their home country.
EVALUATE YOUR CHANCES OF IMMIGRATING TO THE AUSTRIA
Check your eligibility now!
Don’t forget to SHARE
Our team of lawyers in Austria can help you with the submissions and for scheduling the appointments with the Austrian authorities. They can also assist you in obtaining Austrian permanent residence and relocate to Austria in 2023.
|Temporary residence permit types|| |
- family reunification,
- medical purposes
Time needed to obtain the temporary residence permit (approx.)
|Around 3 months|
Temporary residence permit validity
Between 1 and 3 years
|Documents for obtaining temporary residence|| |
- valid passport,
- birth certificate,
- health insurance,
- proof of income and accomodation
|Mandatory registrations with state authorities (i.e. with the population/municipality register)|| |
|Dependents can join the temporary permit holder|| |
|Temporary or permanent residency for investment purposes|| |
|Minimum temporary residence before applying for permanent residence||At least 5 years|
|Documents for obtaining permanent residence|| |
- valid passport,
- health insurance,
- proof of income and accomodation,
- integration agreement
|Naturalization requirements|| |
- living at least 10 years in the country,
- knowledge of German language,
- renunciation of foreign citizenship
|Citizenship after permanent residence||Yes|
Necessary documents for Austrian residence permit application
The application is submitted with the embassy or consulate in the applicant’s country of origin, as the permit must be valid upon entry in Austria. The following documents are needed:
- Valid passport;
- Application form and consular fee;
- Recent picture;
- Original or notarized copies of the birth certificate and the criminal record;
- Proof of health, financial means, and accommodation in Austria;
- Other documents, as needed (for individuals who are sponsored by an Austrian resident or citizen and in au-pair cases).
You can trust the services of our immigration lawyers in Austria; they will guide you regarding documentation for application in 2023. Plus, you can watch the following video presentation:
Residency permit in Austria for family reunification
There are three different scenarios in which a person can apply for this permit:
- Residence permit for family members: any family member like children, spouse or a registered partner can apply for the residence title of ''family member''. This permit allows them to have an extendable stay in Austria for up to a year with free access to the labor market;
- Indefinite leave to remain – excluding employment: this permit requires evidence of financial means because the holder of this permit is not allowed to gain employment in Austria. This type of permit is valid for 12 months and can be extended to a period of up to three years;
- Indefinite leave to remain for family reunification: those family members who hold the nationality of any third country and have a family member with an Austrian residency can apply for a family reunification permit. Individuals with this permit can also apply for a Red-White-Red Card Plus, but may be eligible for the immigration quota.
It is important to note that the Consulate is primarily responsible for accepting the application, not before examining it for completeness and correctness. Then, the application is forwarded to other relevant immigration authorities in Austria, for final decision.
Residency permit for study purposes in Austria
For study purposes, an individual can be eligible for these residence permits in Austria:
- Resident permit for a researcher: the person who gets qualified for this type of permit must be registered as a resident in Austria for research purposes. It is valid for nationals who are planning on residing in Austria as per a residence agreement with a research center;
- Residence permit for a student: this kind of residence permit in Austria is valid for up to a year for those aspirants who are keen to study here. If a student does not apply for a special work visa before applying for a permit, he/she would not be allowed to work in Austria.
Residence permit for employment purposes in Austria
If you are interested to work and reside in Austria in 2023, then here are three kinds of residency permits that the Austrian government offers you:
- EU Blue Card: those individuals who have completed a degree in Austria and are skilled persons can apply for this type of residence permit;
- Red-White-Red Card - if you have found a job in Austria, then you can apply for this permit because it is a mix between a work and a residence permit. You are eligible to reside in Austria for up to two years if you have this residency permit;
- Red-White-Red Card Plus: this permit is an upgraded version of the previous one that allows you to work with different employers and reside in Austria for two years. Talk about immigration to Austria with our local experts.
We have prepared an inpfographic with details on this topic:
The applications for children in the case of family reunification in Austria can commence within 6 months after the child's birth. The responsible person can make such an application, only if he/she is a resident of Austria.
How residency permits are granted in Austria
In Austria, residency permits are issued for specific purposes and for periods of stay that exceed six months. Examples include those for employment or study but they do not have to necessarily grant access to the labor market. Foreign nationals can apply for Austrian permanent residence or a temporary one (for example for family reunification purposes, as well as others).
The following list includes the general requirements for obtaining a residence permit in Austria:
- Proof of income: when applying for this permit, individuals must show that they possess adequate means of subsistence; the required amounts differ for single individuals and for families with children.
- Health insurance: the applicant is also required to have a health insurance with adequate benefits in Austria.
- Accommodation: proof of accommodation, for example, a lease contract, must also be presented.
- No legal impediments: the applicant must be free of any legal impediments, such as an entry ban, a return decision against him or he exceeded the allowed visa duration.
Self-employed individuals who perform various types of services in Austria for more than six months should also observe these provisions. One of our attorneys in Austria can give you more information on immigration to Austria in 2023.
The residence permit application in the name of a third-country national with Austrian matriculation or diploma examination issued by an Austrian school can be made directly in Austria. Our lawyers know the legislation and can provide the necessary legal support.
Short facts about the green card in Austria
A green card in Austria is the same as an Austrian permanent residence that can be obtained after the foreign citizen proves that he has lived in this country for at least 5 years. There are a number of requirements that must be met in order to obtain a green card in Austria, and among them are:
- Proof of stable income, with the help of a permanent job in Austria.
- Uninterrupted legal status in Austria for the past 5 years.
- Health insurance throughout this period.
- A criminal record stating that you have not been involved in criminal offences in Austria.
- B1 level of German language by completing Module 2 of the Integration Agreement.
- Proof of accommodation in Austria.
These are some of the conditions for obtaining a Green Card in Austria or Austrian permanent residence. You can find out more about obtaining this status from our immigration lawyers in Austria.
How to renew the residence permit in Austria in 2023
According to the legislation in force in Austria, the permanent residence has a validity period of 5 years. It is important to mention that the renewal of this document must be done 3 months before it expires, with the help of local authorities. In principle, the renewal of this document is done quickly, if there are no problems related to documents or domicile. One of our lawyers in Austria can offer you legal advice on the renewal of a permanent residence permit in Austria or Green Card in Austria.
Immigration to Austria is a relatively simple process, especially if you come from a member country of the European Union. On the other hand, if you want to relocate from non-EU/EEA countries, you will need to apply for a visa. The formalities in this sense can be explained to you by one of our local lawyers with experience in this field. You must also apply for a residence permit and a work permit if you want to live in this country for more than 3 months.
Can the family of a foreign citizen receive permanent residence in Austria?
Yes, the family members (husband, wife, and children) of the applicant who already has a permanent residence will have the same status from this point of view. But it is important to mention that family members must have lived in Austria for at least 5 years in order to obtain a permanent residence permit in Austria.
Permanent residence for asylum seekers in Austria
Foreign citizens with asylum in Austria can apply for permanent residence in Austria if they have already lived in this country for at least 5 years. It is important to note that this type of citizen can also apply for naturalization if they have lived in Austria for 10 years without interruption. As for other imposed conditions, these citizens must prove an income for the last three years in Austria, knowledge of the German language, and a clean record. More information in this direction can be provided by our Austrian lawyers with experience in immigration issues.
Please find below the cost for Austrian residence permits because it varies accordingly:
- For an individual above the age of 6 years, the application fee will be around EUR 120;
- For persons under the age of 6 years, the fee will be EUR 75;
- The holders of a residence permit for five years can apply for a permanent residence in Austria - The additional application fee will be EUR 30. Talk to us if you want to move to Austria.
If you have an Austrian residence permit, you can travel to EU/EEA and Schengen area visa-free without any restrictions. Besides these places, you can also travel visa-free to those countries that Austria has a visa agreement with. If you are interested in obtaining Austrian permanent residence, you can apply for it with the assistance of our law firm in Austria. We are here to help you move to Austria.
Reasons to immigrate to Austria
Austria ranks second in the world in terms of quality of life, and Vienna, the country's capital, ranks first (for 10 years in a row) among the choices of foreigners who want to settle in this city. Excellent living conditions and multiple opportunities in any field make Austria one of the best destinations in the world in terms of quality of life. Here are some of the reasons to immigrate to Austria:
- Human rights, women's rights, and freedom of the press are respected in Austria, which makes foreign citizens enjoy a high quality of life.
- Infrastructure is another important aspect. The country is very well developed in this regard, public transport being one of the most popular in the world.
- The health system in Austria is one of the best in the world, it is accessible, and the top treatments are appreciated by foreigners.
- The education system is another reason why foreign citizens move to Austria. Students can take courses at top faculties, either for free or at extremely advantageous costs. Thus, according to studies, the population of Austria is one of the most educated in the world.
- Austria is also the country with the lowest crime rate in the world, another reason to immigrate to this country.
- The expat community is open and supportive, so anyone can easily integrate into Austria.
Working with our immigration lawyers in Austria
Foreigners who want to immigrate to Austria in 2023 can rely on the specialized help offered by our lawyers. Visa for Austria, Green Card in Austria, work permits, and citizenship are among the important aspects that interest foreign citizens who want to relocate to this country. As the formalities may seem complicated, it is better to call our legal services and find out how we can help you legally, in order to avoid possible rejections of applications. We treat every situation with professionalism and transparency and we meet our clients with the best solutions.
Contact us if you have any ambiguities regarding Austrian permanent residence. Our lawyers in Austria can guide you if you want to relocate to Austria.